One of my favorite blogs to read is Clumps of Mascara and I am so happy to have the fabulous blogger, Brittany, share her ideas about makeup with the LOAL audience! Read and enjoy!
1. How were you introduced to makeup? When did you fall in love with it and why?
--I can't really remember when I was first introduced to make-up. I didn't wear it in middle school and never wore more than Black eyeliner and gloss in high school. So I guess I didn't really love in love with make-up until last year. Crazy, uh? MAC's C-Shock collection last summer is really what drew me into my make-up obsession.
2. What do you love most about makeup?
--I love that there is soooo many avenues of make-up! Mineral make-up, theater make-up, waterproof mascaras, blue mascaras, lengthening mascaras....it just doesn't end. I also love how there aren't any rules to anything in make-up. What works for one person may not work for someone else, but the options and combinations are endless.
3. Do you tend to be traditional/classic in your makeup styling or are you more experimental? What are your favorite techniques or looks? What are your favorite products/beauty lines?
--Now and days I'm more of a minimalist. When I first got into make-up I was all over bright eyeshadow but now my focus is skin and lips. I am absolutely in love with blush. I love applying blush to my lids and lips too. You would be amazed at what you can create. As far as my favorite products...can't live without eyeliner, lip liner and of course blush. I adore so many beauty lines but most of collection is MAC Cosmetics, Clinique, Bobbi Brown and NARS. But I don't discriminate. I also love Maybelline, NYX, NYC, Iman and smaller mineral make-up companies like Mineral Concepts.
4. Which products do you think every woman should have?
--Definitely a moisturizer with a good amount of SPF, a pretty blush, lip liner, mascara and gloss. That's it!
5. What do you think about the beauty industry and its relationship to women of color?
--I think it's getting better. Have we come a long way? Yes. Do we have a long way to go? Absolutely. I am proud to be apart of a circle of other women of color who understand the importance of companies incorporating more brown girl friendly products and services.
6. Share anything else you'd like to share: info about you, your business (if you have one), what area of the country you live in, etc.
-- Clumps of Mascara is celebrating its 1 Year anniversary this week. Yay! I'm a Florida girl, born and raised. I work for the Florida State Legislature but am currently pursuing a career in Public Health. "Helping" others really doesn't pay a lot but I would much rather do that than make millions doing something that I don't like.